From Anxiety to Meltdown: How Individuals on the Autism Spectrum Deal with Anxiety, Experience Meltdowns, Manifest Tantrums, and How You Can Intervene Effectively$35.99 Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
- From Anxiety to MeltdownAnxiety is the root cause of many of the difficulties experienced by people on the autism spectrum. Deborah Lipsky takes a practical look at what leads to meltdowns and tantrums and what can be done to help.
Anxiety is the root cause of many of the difficulties experienced by people on the autism spectrum, and is often caused by things such as a change in routine, or sensory overload. Deborah Lipsky takes a practical look at what happens when things spiral out of control, exploring what leads to meltdowns and and tantrums, and what can be done to help.
Drawing on her own extensive personal experience and using real-life examples to explain how autistic people think, the author distinguishes between meltdowns and tantrums, showing how they are different, how each can begin, and most importantly, how to identify triggers and prevent outbursts from happening in the first place. Practical and simple solutions to avoiding anxiety are offered throughout, and these are accompanied by calming techniques and suggestions for dealing with tantrums when they occur.
This book will be an essential read for those on the autism spectrum, their families and friends, professionals working with them, and anybody else with an interest in autism spectrum conditions.
Table of Contents
- Seeing the World Through Our Eyes.
- Anxiety: Friend or Foe?
- How Anxiety Impacts Our Cognitive Abilities.
- Rituals and Routines: A Natural Defense for Anxiety.
- What is a Meltdown?
- How Does a Tantrum Differ from a Meltdown?
- Meltdown Triggers.
- Communication Triggers that Cause Meltdowns.
- Meltdown Interventions.