Multicultural Students with Special Language Needs, 5ed: Practical Strategies for Assessment and Intervention$189.95 Softcover
Add to cartQuestions?
The NEW fifth edition of Multicultural Students with Special Language Needs: Practical Strategies for Assessment and Intervention includes over 430 8.5" x 11" pages with information about cultural groups, their customs, and the variables that are important to consider in assessment and program planning for culturally and linguistically diverse students with language disorders and other special learning needs. Research and practical information is included to help professionals work more effectively with English Language Learners (ELLs).
Focus of Book
- Using culturally and linguistically appropriate assessment and intervention strategies
- Learning about different cultures, their values, child-rearing practices, social interaction patterns, and pragmatic uses of language
- Distinguishing language differences from disorders
- Structuring a culturally and linguistically appropriate learning environment for students with special needs
- Assessing language-learning behavior in instructional settings
- Working with families of students with language disorders and special learning needs
- Best practices are described for distinguishing language differences from language impairment based on recent research.
- The assessment chapters have been expanded to provide new-research-based practical tools.
- Chapters relating to intervention have been expanded to include a wider range of topics relating to the development of language and literacy skills that are critical for success in reading and for the mastery of Common Core State Standards.
- Strategies are described for using technological innovations with ELL students.
- Response-to-Intervention (RtI) strategies are described as they relate to the needs of ELL students.
- Information about second language learning and bilingualism has been updated to reflect new research and to guide professionals in understanding the nature of typical bilingual development and its impact upon assessment practices.
- New information has been added pertaining to issues in working with internationally adopted children, whose unique needs are a growing challenge for general and special educators throughout the United States.
- New Quick Response Codes (QRCs) and website links have been added to the fifth edition. Each chapter includes direct links to interesting internet web sites and YouTube videos. Links to videos created by the author relate directly to book content.
- Links to YouTube videos created by the author make it possible to view "hands-on" assessment strategies, intervention techniques, and MORE! The videos help readers to understand information presented in this book.
- New "Immigrant Insights" and are included throughout the book to provide readers with a better understanding of the feelings and viewpoints of individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Updated information is included related to poverty and its impact upon the performance of ELLs in schools. The impact of poverty is described in terms of implications for assessment and treatment.
- Format changes in this edition improve readability. Many long paragraphs have been replaced by a "bullet point" format to accommodate the learning style of today's students.
A wide variety of case studies are included, designed to help professionals deal with the complex problems often encountered when collecting and interpreting assessment data. Reproducible resources are also included.
This book is an excellent resource for speech-language pathologists, special education teachers, and bilingual specialists. The book can be used as a course text or as a practical resource for professionals in the field.
Thousands of professionals used the previous editions of this book as their "guidebook" when working with culturally and linguistically diverse student populations. The fifth edition is even more comprehensive and includes hundreds of new references.
Table of Contents
Part 1 - Cultural and Linguistic Variables Affecting Service Delivery
- Chapter 1 - Learning About Cultural Diversity
- Chapter 2 - The Impact of Religious Differences
- Chapter 3 - Families from Anglo European Backgrounds
- Chapter 4 - Families from African American Backgrounds
- Chapter 5 - Families from Hispanic Backgrounds
- Chapter 6 - Families from Asian Backgrounds
- Chapter 7 - Families from Native American Backgrounds
- Chapter 8 - Families from Pacific Island Backgrounds
- Chapter 9 - Families from Middle Eastern Backgrounds
Part 2 - Assessment of Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Students
- Chapter 10 - Bilingualism and Second Language Learning
- Chapter 11 - Introduction to Assessment: Foundational Principles
- Chapter 12 - Ecologically Valid Assessment: Practical Strategies
Part 3 - Intervention for Students with Special Needs
- Chapter 13 - Foundations of Effective Service Delivery
- Chapter 14 - Practical Strategies for Intervention
- Chapter 15 - Working with Special Populations of Students with Disabilities
Appendix - Sample Case History Questionnaire