Classwide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports: A Guide to Proactive Classroom Management$67.00 Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
Age Range: 5 to 18
A vital classroom management resource, this book shows how to implement positive behaviour interventions and supports (PBIS) in K-12 classrooms, regardless of whether PBIS is adopted schoolwide. The primary focus is universal (Tier 1) support for all students. Practical, step-by-step guidelines are provided for structuring the classroom environment, actively engaging students in instruction, teaching positive expectations, and establishing a continuum of strategies to reinforce positive behaviour and respond to inappropriate behaviour. Numerous real-world examples and learning exercises are included.
In a large-size format with lay-flat binding for easy photocopying, the book includes reproducible tools for classwide PBIS planning and implementation. Purchasers get access to a Web page where they can download and print the reproducible materials.
Table of Contents
- Foundations of Classwide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports
I. PBIS Foundations and Basic Principles
- Behavioral Principles at Work in PBIS
- Tier 1 Schoolwide PBIS
- Introduction to Classwide PBIS: Focus on Outcomes, Data, and Systems
II. Classwide PBIS Practices
- Maximize Structure and Actively Engage Students during Instruction
- Establish and Teach Positively Stated Expectations
- Implement a Continuum of Strategies to Reinforce Appropriate Behavior
- Implement a Continuum of Strategies to Respond to Inappropriate Behavior
III. Additional Tiers of Support for Students
- Overview of Tier 2 in Your School and Classroom
- Overview of Tier 3 in Your School and Classroom
- Conclusion: Where Do We Go from Here?
"This easy-to-read, accessible book lays out the critical elements of a complex process in a way that will help classroom teachers establish an effective environment to support all learners. The book will also be useful for veteran school teams who are currently implementing schoolwide PBIS and who are looking for systems and evidence-based practices to extend their supports into classrooms. Among the multitude of books on classroom and behavior management, this one stands out. It should become a required course text."
- Tim Lewise, PhD, Department of Special Education, University of Missouri
"This book provides a very logical and friendly translation of PBIS principles and maps them onto teachers' daily instructional and classroom management tasks. The inclusion of information on Tier 2 and Tier 3 strategies is unique and sets the book apart. It can be used as a course text, a school-based reference, or a 'how to' for those wishing to infuse positive and proactive strategies across the school and across the curriculum."
- Terry M Scott, PhD, Professor and Distinguished University Scholar, Department of Special Education, University of Louisville
"Much needed. This is the first book to bridge the gap between schoolwide PBIS and explicit, comprehensive classwide interventions. Written in lay language, it provides a solid foundation in behavioral principles for effective classroom management. This guide will be beneficial for teachers as well as coaches or facilitators of the PBIS process on a campus and/or within a district. Kudos to Simonsen and Myers for delivering a practical, precise book that will help give all students the opportunity to succeed!"
- Heather Peshak George, PhD, Department of Child and Family Studies, University of South Florida
"An amazing book for new and veteran teachers who want to create a positive, organized classroom environment. In a practical format, the volume includes specific strategies and follow-up activities after each chapter that make it easy to help teachers enhance their effectiveness."
- Susan Barrett, MA, Director, PBIS Regional Training and Technical Assistance Center, Sheppard Pratt Health System, Towson, Maryland