Essentials of Specific Learning Disability Identification, 2ed$81.95 Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
Essentials of Specific Learning Disability Identification provides accessible, authoritative guidance on specific learning disability (SLD), with the most up-to-date information on assessment, identification, interventions, and more. Contributions by leading experts examine multiple theoretical orientations and various identification approaches for dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, and other common SLDs. Emphasising real-world utility, this book provides important information for professionals who work with children and youth at risk; many of the SLD identification practices can be put to work immediately, and the expert coverage offers many strategies and interventions for student support in the classroom. This new second edition has been updated to align with the most current understanding of SLD manifestations, diagnostic assessment, and evidence-based interventions, and includes new material covering non-verbal learning disability, speech-language impairment, general learning difficulties, and differentially diagnosing SLD from other conditions.
Early SLD identification and the right kind of help can raise the trajectory of a child's life. This book provides in-depth information to facilitate accurate identification and appropriate intervention to help you help the children in your care.
- Understand how SLD manifests in academic performance
- Learn theory- and research-based approaches to SLD identification
- Examine the latest information about new aspects of SLD determination
- Utilise appropriate and effective intervention strategies for student support
If a child's learning disability is caught early, and the correct type of support is provided, that child gets the chance to develop the skills that lead to achievement in school and beyond. As a high-incidence disorder, SLD affects 10-15 percent of the general population, making successful identification an essential skill for those who work with children. Essentials of Specific Learning Disability Identification provides authoritative guidance and practical methods that can help you start changing children's lives today.
Table of Contents
PART I: DEFINITIONS AND MANIFESTATIONS OF SPECIFIC LEARNING DISABILITIES
- Overview of Specific Learning Disabilities - Marlene Sotelo-Dynega, Dawn P. Flanagan, and Vincent C. Alfonso
- The Neuropsychology of Reading Disorders: How SLD Manifests in Reading - Steven G. Feifer
- How SLD Manifests in Mathematics - Michèlele M. M. Mazzocco and Rose Vukovic
- How SLD Manifests in Writing - Nancy Mather and Barbara J. Wendling
- How SLD Manifests in Oral Expression and Listening Comprehension - Nickola Wolf Nelson and Elisabeth H. Wiig
- Nonverbal Learning Disabilities - Margaret Semrud-Clikeman
PART II: METHODS AND MODELS OF SPECIFIC LEARNING DISABILITY IDENTIFICATION
- A Response to Intervention (RTI) Approach to SLD Identification - Jack M. Fletcher and Jeremy Miciak
- Using Student Response to Intervention to Identify SLD: Requirements, Recommendations, and Future Research - Mathew K. Burns, Kathrin E. Maki, Kristy Warmbolde-Brann, and June L. Preast
- Cognitive Neuroscientific Contributions to Theoretical Understanding of Specific Learning Disabilities - Scott L. Decker, Rachel Bridges, and Tayllor Vetter
- Integrating Instructionally Relevant Specific Learning Disability Diagnoses, Patterns of Strengths and Weaknesses, and Positive Home-School Partnerships: Free and Appropriate Public Education for ALLAll. - Nicole Lynne Alston-Abel and Virginia Berninger and Nicole Alston-Abel
- Dual Discrepancy/Consistence Operational Definition of SLD: Integrating Multiple Data Sources and Multiple Data- Gathering Methods - Dawn P. Flanagan, Vincent C. Alfonso, Megan C. Sy, Vincent C. Alfonso, Jennifer T. Mascolo, and Erin M. McDonough
- Pattern of Strengths and Weaknesses Made Easy: The Discrepancy/Consistency Model - Jack A. Naglieri and Steve Feifer
- Core Selective Evaluation Process (C-SEP) and Dual Discrepancy/Consistency (DD/C) Models for SLD Identification: A Case Study Approach - Gail M. Cheramie, G. Thomas Schanding Jr., and Dristien Kristin Streich
PART III: SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS IN SPECIFIC LEARNING DISABILITY IDENTIFICATION
- Difference or Disorder: Assessment of SLD Wwith an English Learner - Samuel O. Ortiz, Kristan E. Melo, and Meghan A. Terzulli
- Differential Diagnosis of Specific Learning Disability Versus Other Difficulties - Benjamin J. Lovett and David A. Kilpatrick
About the Editors
About the Contributors