Equipped for Reading Success: A Comprehensive, Step-by-Step Program for Developing Phonemic Awareness and Fluent Word Recognition$99.95 Spiral Bound
Add to cartQuestions?
- Equipped for Reading SuccessDavid Kilpatrick's practical program brings the science and research of correcting reading difficulties into the classroom
Professor David Kilpatrick's practical program brings the science and research of correcting reading difficulties into the classroom. This volume is designed to prevent and correct most word-level reading difficulties. It trains phonemic awareness and promotes sight vocabulary acquisition, and therefore reading fluency.
In recent years, scientists have made great strides in understanding how children learn to read, as well as how to prevent and correct most reading difficulties. However, the American Federation for Teachers, the Journal of Learning Disabilities, and School Psychology Review have all highlighted the fact that these findings have not become widely known or used in our schools. Equipped for Reading Success is designed to summarise these research results in a clear and easy-to-read manner, bringing teachers up-to-date on these exciting findings.
More than an explanation of current research, Equipped for Reading Success is a complete program for training phoneme awareness. Research has shown that contrary to our intuitions, phoneme awareness is important for remembering the words we read (sight-word recognition), not just for developing phonic decoding skills. Equipped for Reading Success uses a developmentally appropriate approach designed to boost phoneme awareness, phonics, and instant word recognition.
Equipped for Reading Success also gives teachers concrete tools to help children develop a large sight vocabulary. In addition, it is designed to supplement any existing reading program or approach. Implementing the program requires minimal planning and only several minutes of supplemental instruction per day.
With today's emphasis on Response to Intervention (RTI), Equipped for Reading Success provides the much needed "research-based" content to make RTI efforts successful. Equipped for Reading Success is:
- preventive in kindergarten and first grade,
- provides remedial help for struggling readers, and
- can accelerate the progress of students with reading disabilities, thus providing interventions for all tiers of RTI.
- A complete phonemic awareness training program. It is step-by-step and developmentally appropriate. There is no place for students to get "stuck."
- Word recognition strategies. Learn over 20 concrete strategies to boost memory for words in order to promote rapid, effortless word retrieval.
- Resources included. The manual has many appendices with the resources and examples needed to quickly incorporate the word-study techniques into lessons.
- Multiple assessments. Four forms of the Phonological Awareness Screening Test (PAS7) are included to monitor student progress.
- Based on research and field-tested- The bibliography contains over 300 scientific research reports published in professional journals, upon which the author designed this program. Also, earlier editions of this manual have been field-tested for over 15 years by many teachers in numerous school districts.
- Easy to use. Once teachers are familiar with how to use the manual, the program requires little or no daily preparation. Just open the manual to the next item and you are ready to go.
- Written in a clear and engaging style. Concepts are covered carefully and thoroughly. The author does not assume readers will have extensive background knowledge in the field of reading research.
Table of Contents
Part I: What Needs to be Done
- Fluent Word Recognition and Phoneme awareness
- Understanding Phonological Awareness
- Levels of Phonological Awareness
- Orthographic Mapping and Sight Word Learning
Part II: How To Do It
- Teaching Reading In Light of Orthographic Mapping
- Word Study Activities that Promote Orthographic Mapping
- One Minute Activities & Other Phonological Awareness Tasks
- Becoming Proficient in Phonological Awareness
- How to Train Students in Phonological Awareness
- How to Use this One Minute Activities
- Assessment of Phonological Awareness
- Letter-Sound Learning
- Addressing Compensating Students
- Remediation, Learning Disabilities, Dyslexia, and RTI
Part III: Training Exercises
One Minute Activities
Part IV: Appendices/Resources
Appendix A: Phonological Awareness Development Chart
Appendix B: Comparison of Program Levels with ARL & Rosner
Appendix C: Phonological Awareness Screening Test (PAST)
Appendix D: List of Word Study Activity for Lesson Planning
Appendix E: Letter-Sound Helps
Appendix F: Common Rime Units, Prefixes & Suffixes
Appendix G: Look-Alike Words for Word Study
Appendix H: Nonsense Words for Word Study
Appendix I: Irregular Words for Word Study
Appendix J: Glossary Terms
Appendix K: References