Overcoming Difficulties with Number: Supporting Dyscalculia and Students who Struggle with Maths (With CD-ROM)$75.90 Softcover
Add to cartQuestions?
- Overcoming Difficulties with NumberStrategies for teaching numeracy skills through a progression of practical activities & visualisation techniques
Age Range: 9 to 16
In writing this practical book, Ronit Bird has drawn on her teaching and training experience to create teaching plans for key numeracy topics, aimed at those working with students aged 9-16.
She provides detailed strategies for teaching numeracy skills through a progression of practical activities and visualisation techniques which build the self-esteem of students who need extra help and give them a basic foundation in number. While the plans cover the National Numeracy Strategy, they can also be used in any setting where maths is being taught.
Topics covered include:
- games and puzzles for learning number components
- reasoning strategies
A bank of accompanying resources, games, activities and Su-Doku puzzles is available on the CD included with this book.
This is an ideal resource for both class teachers and maths subject teachers, , and is equally useful for teaching assistants and learning support assistants
Table of Contents
- More than 50 Ideas to help pupils stop counting in ones
- Pre-skills for learning the bridging technique
- Bridging through 10
- Bridging through multiples of 10
- Pre-skills for the area model of multiplication & division
- The area model of multiplication & division
- Making the transition to written short and long multiplication
- Making the transition to written short and long division
- Reasoning strategies
List of suggestions for further reading
Appendices and resources