Writing Matters: Developing Sentence Skills In Students Of All Ages$104.00 Spiral Bound
Add to cartQuestions?
- Writing MattersSets out a unique, research-based process to teach sentence writing, based on systematic, sequential, and structured grammar.
Writing Matters presents grammar in a systematic, sequential, and structured manner. Students have opportunities to learn about parts of speech through a variety of activities that let them see these components as tools that can be manipulated in sentence construction. Sentence writing is the ultimate application of this process.
- unique, research-based lesson design
- sequence of skills for instruction
- techniques for one-to-one and classroom instruction
- model dialogues
- an overview of general information for the teacher
- clarification of points teachers sometimes confuse
- steps for initial instruction and subsequent lessons
- sample activities and assignments
"It isn’t often that a gifted teacher shares his success in such a teachable manner. This complete, comprehensive instructional guide demysti es the process of teaching grammar and writing while addressing the research and linking the Core Standards. William provides the rationale, the important principles, many examples, plus a wealth of activities and suggestions for successful implementation of a systematic, structured, spiraled process that is useful and appealing to teachers and students. It makes sense!"
- Arlene Sonday, Fellow/AOGPE, Author, Sonday System
"When I saw this in action, I immediately wanted it for my class. I went to school the following Monday and began teaching it. Within a few lessons, my students were already becoming stronger writers."
- Mary Baldwin, Sixth Grade Department Chair, The Briarwood School
"The deeper that you get into this remarkable resource the more you realize that William Van Cleave’s systematic commonsense approach to writing and the understandable conceptual exercises this book provides have immense potential. You will be a better teacher, you will be more successful, and you will be more ef cient with this book at your side."
- Emerson Dickman, J.D., Past President, International Dyslexia Association Member, National Joint Committee on Learning Dif culties
"In recent years the writing of students has suffered from their failure to receive instruction in grammar. Students nowadays write using the informal language of speech and do not understand how to compose structured sentences. We must teach grammar to enable our students to become better writers. William Van Cleave’s book, Writing Matters, certainly accomplishes this goal by providing a plethora of diverse and engaging exercises. The book serves as an indispensable guide for teachers working with students at any level and is truly a godsend."
- Diana Hanbury King, Fellow/AOGPE, Author, Writing Skills series
"Teaching grammar is dif cult, but teaching this subject to students with dyslexia offers a greater challenge. Now, William Van Cleave’s book, Writing Matters, presents grammar in a systematic, sequential, and structured manner. Students have opportunities to learn about parts of speech through a variety of activities that let them see these components as tools that can be manipulated in sentence construction. Sentence writing is the ultimate application of this process. Writing Matters is a must-have book for any teacher because it is comprehensive. Writing Matters will be a book our students can use from grade to grade as they master the structure of the English language to become better writers."
- Pat Porter, Fellow/AOGPE