The Transition Tightrope: Supporting Students in Transition to Secondary School$54.99 Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
- The Transition TightropeOffers practical tips, strategies and information to anyone who lives or works with young people in the transition to secondary school phase.
Age Range: 11 to 13
The transition phase from primary to secondary school is a time of massive personal, physical, psychological and social change. Not only is it a difficult time for the young adolescent, but it is also a challenging time for parents, teachers and anyone working with young people experiencing such substantial changes in their lives. In this highly accessible book, Australian teacher Angie Wilcock offers clear, practical, and realistic tips and strategies to support teachers' and parents' understanding of this difficult transition stage.
If you are concerned that your child or pupil may have difficulty coping with the many changes and challenges associated with this phase, this book will give you insight into issues such as:
- understanding the developing teen and effective ways to handle them
- keeping up with multiple assignments
- creating a system of organisation and an effective work space at home
- maintaining a healthy balance between work, playÉand sleep
- developing a positive attitude to school and study
- setting realistic goals
- making new friends
- establishing life skills which are transferable to school.
Based on real-life teaching and parenting experience and full of practical, helpful case studies, this is just the resource you need to help you support and guide your developing teen.
Table of Contents
Foreword: Caz Bosch (President Australian Parents Council)
Preface: The Leap To Secondary School Introduction: What The Research Says About Transition
- The Middle Years - Morphing From Gorgeous To Grumpy
- Boys And Girls - Viva La Difference!
- The New Social Network - Real Friends, Not Online!
- Parents Keeping A Connection With Their School
- Aligning The Stars - Finding That Balance Between Work And Play
- Work Environment - Basic Or Brilliant?
- "Where's My Assignment?" The Need To Be Organized
- Managing Time - It Can Be Done!
- Attitude - What Attitude!
- Parents With Style - Which Style Suits You?
- See ItÉHear ItÉDo It - Working Smarter, Not Harder
- The Art Of Setting Goals Epilogue: The Last Word