The Chatterbugs Manual: A 12-Week Speech, Language and Communication Programme for Early Years$79.99 Softcover
Add to cartQuestions?
The Chatterbugs Manual is a practical resource for all those supporting the development of the foundation communication skills of attention and listening, turn-taking and early vocabulary in children. The Chatterbugs programme has been designed to bridge the gap between education and specialist speech, language and communication provision, specifically with Early Years mainstream settings in mind. It enables school staff to prepare children—including those with delayed communication skills, EAL learners, or children with suspected special education needs—for learning in school by developing their communication skills through the use of robust communication strategies.
The Chatterbugs Manual contains:
- An overview of the programme, including step-by-step instructions on how to plan and deliver a Chatterbugs session
- Guidance on identifying children likely to benefit from the programme
- Progress Tracking documents, along with information on measuring outcomes
- Child-friendly, illustrated session resources
- Frequently Asked Questions
- A parent-friendly information leaflet
- Information on models of implementation
- Information on accessing training and support
Developed by an experienced speech and language therapist, Chatterbugs has consistently recorded successful outcomes for over 80% of participants since the programme’s inception in 2012, and for over 90% of participants since 2016. With its hands-on approach, the programme is an essential resource for educators, support staff, and speech and language therapists working with Early Years children.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Chatterbugs
- Chatterbugs Programme Structure and Preparation
- Chatterbugs Programme – Personnel, Participants and Paperwork
- Chatterbugs Sessions
- Chatterbugs Outcomes
- Chatterbugs Frequently Asked Questions
- Chatterbugs Models of Implementation and Training.
Appendix I: Chatterbugs Guidance
- A. Chatterbugs Targets
- B. Chatterbugs Activities
Appendix II: Chatterbugs Tracking
- A. Chatterbugs Baseline and Skills Review
- B. Chatterbugs Daily Tracking Sheet
Appendix III:Chatterbugs Resources
- A. Chatterbugs Programme Preparation Checklist
- B. Chatterbugs Resource Construction
- C. Chatterbugs Visual Timetable Construction
- D. Chatterbugs Vocabulary List
- E. Chatterbugs Resources
"The publication of The Chatterbugs Manual is a golden opportunity for schools everywhere to take advantage of this thoroughly researched and highly successful early language development programme. I’ve seen the Chatterbugs programme in action in several primary schools, and I know that it works. The meticulously maintained progress tracking data that forms an essential component of the approach demonstrates very clearly that almost all the children who complete the 12-week programme make excellent progress in improving their skills of paying attention, listening carefully and taking turns, and that they make great strides in developing their vocabulary. The children I’ve observed in Chatterbugs sessions demonstrated huge enjoyment in their learning, and they were clearly fully engaged in what they were doing. The Chatterbugs Manual will provide schools with an invaluable resource to meet the needs of young children who need extra support in developing their communication skills."
- John Dewhurst, School Leadership Consultant