The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child$35.95 Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
- The Book WhispererDonalyn Miller has yet to meet a child she couldn't turn into a reader. No matter how far behind Miller's students might be entering her grade 6 class, they end up reading an average of 40 to 50 books a year.
Donalyn Miller says she has yet to meet a child she couldn't turn into a reader. No matter how far behind Miller's students might be when they reach her 6th grade classroom, they end up reading an average of 40 to 50 books a year.
Miller's unconventional approach dispenses with drills and worksheets that make reading a chore. Instead, she helps students navigate the world of literature and gives them time to read books they pick out themselves. Her love of books and teaching is both infectious and inspiring. The book is packed with practical suggestions and includes a dynamite list of recommended "kid lit" that helps parents and teachers find the books that students really like to read.
Donalyn Miller’s ongoing blog for teachermagazine.org has become one of the most visited and talked about internet teacher sites in the USA. Her wisdom and advice are valued by teachers everywhere. With her unconventional instructional approach she offers renewed hope for both teachers and parents about the turnaround potential of failing readers.
Table of Contents
Foreword, by Donalyn Miller.
Chapter 1: There and Back Again.
Chapter 2: Everybody is a Reader.
- Whisper: Student Surveys.
Chapter 3: There’s a Time and a Place.
Chapter 4: Reading Freedom.
- Whisper: Reader’s Notebooks.
Chapter 5: Walking the Walk.
Chapter 6: Cutting the Teacher Strings.
- Whisper: End-of-Year Evaluations.
Chapter 7: Letting Go.
Afterword, by Ron D. Myers, Principal.
- Appendix A: The Care and Feeding of a Classroom Library.
- Appendix B: Ultimate Library List.
- Appendix C: Student Forms.
About the Author.
About the Sponsor.