Teaching Reading Sourcebook: CORE Literacy LibraryRRP - $178.95 Our Price - $169.95 Softcover
Add to cartQuestions?
- Teaching Reading SourcebookExplore the science of reading with this top-rated, user-friendly guide to effective reading instruction for grades K through 12
Age Range: 5 to 18
With over 200,000 copies in circulation, The Teaching Reading Sourcebook is a top-rated, indispensable guide to evidence-based, comprehensive reading instruction. Combining the best features of an academic text and a practical, hands-on teacher’s guide, the Sourcebook explicitly covers all essential components of effective reading instruction as recommended by the National Reading Panel (2000): phonological awareness, phonics/decoding, reading fluency, vocabulary, and reading comprehension. An indispensable resource for teaching reading and language to both beginning and older struggling readers.
The Third Edition includes a completely new section on reading instruction within the MTSS (Multi-Tiered Systems of Support) framework: "MTSS for Reading Success."
The Sourcebook is a user-friendly and hugely comprehensive reference for reading instruction with content rich pages organised according to the elements of explicit instruction (what? why? when? how?):
- Each chapter includes a graphic, easy-to-understand explanation of the subject matter (what?);
- a concise summary of evidence-based research with a list of suggested readings (why?);
- suggested instructional timelines, assessments, and interventions (when?); and
- explicit, step-by-step lesson models that bridge the gap between research and practice (how?).
- Sample Lesson Models provide direct and explicit instruction for evidence-based strategies, practices, and activities.
- helpful graphics, definitions, and simple charts and tables make the subject matter immediately understandable
- Connect to Theory interactive activities for the reader provide opportunities to review and interpret content.
- the Resources section provides reproducible sample texts, activity masters, and teaching charts designed to be used in conjunction with sample lesson models.
- suggestions for teaching English-language learners appear throughout book.
- a whole section on reading fluency
- letter knowledge and multisyllabic word reading
- comprehension strategies that good readers use
- useful information about the three-tier model
- authored by highly respected experts in the field of reading
"We don't just need teachers, we need reading experts. The Sourcebook and Multiple Measures help us become experts who can teach to the standards no matter the curriculum and know exactly what students need to learn to be successful readers."
- Adria David, Instructional Coach, Vallivue School District, ID
"The Sourcebook provides both distilled theory and research, with lessons you can teach tomorrow morning. It is a keeper . . . a textbook that pre-service and classroom teachers will want to keep and pull off of their professional bookshelf quite often."
- Shane Templeton, Ph.D. University of Nevada, Reno
"The National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) analyzed 725 textbooks used in college reading courses to determine if they covered the science of reading. Results of their analysis, published in 2020 Teacher Prep Review: Program Performance in Early Reading Instruction, indicate that the Teaching Reading Sourcebook was one of the 10 textbooks (out of 725) found to comprehensively and rigorously cover the scientific basis and instructional elements of the five essential components of effective reading instruction: phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension."
- National Council on Teacher Quality, 2020
"The Sourcebook is an invaluable resource. The content is easy to read, presented in a way that makes learning palatable."
- Brenda J. Thomas, Senior Instructional Specialist, New York City Department of Education
"The Sourcebook is the first line of support for anything literacy. It is immediately usable when you walk into the classroom: whether you are a teacher or administrator."
- Toni Dunbar, CAO,Revolution K12; Former Deputy Supt., Miami Dade Public Schools, FL