More Tools for Teaching Content Literacy$28.95 Spiral Bound
Add to cartQuestions?
- More Tools for Teaching Content LiteracyThis handy flip book provides ready reference to strategies for reading and writing across content areas, along with the research basis, vignettes and organisers.
Age Range: 9 to 18
Finding the right tool to support learning is the key to student success. When appropriate strategies are combined with engaging texts, student interest and learning increase.
In Tools for Teaching Content Literacy, Janet Allen put a wealth of research-based instructional tools at teachers' fingertips to help students make connections with informational resources and to read critically. More Tools for Teaching Content Literacy extends this treasure trove with 25 new instructional strategies -- from Expert Groups to Point-of-View Guides, to Wordstorming -- using the same compact, tabbed flipchart format. Each of the strategies includes:
- a brief description of the instructional tool;
- an exploration of how and why the tool would be used for instruction in content classes;
- graphic organisers;
- step-by-step instructions to support using and adapting the instructional strategy;
- a research base that documents the origin, adaptations, and related reading for understanding the effectiveness of the strategy.
Like its predecessor, More Tools is a handy reference that provides instant access to succinct descriptions, practical strategies, and manageable assessments, allowing teachers to save time and be more flexible and confident in meeting students' needs.
Table of Contents
Three Level Student Guide
Using the 5Ws and H to Find Information
Fast Track to First Impressions
Think, Rethink, Reread, and Reexamine Thinking
Writing Alphabet Books
CPR: Bringing Academic Vocabulary to Life
Learning Through Inquiry
Double- and Triple-Entry Journals
Common (and Uncommon) Denominatiors
Wordstorming to Anticipate Content
Getting the Most from Visual Information
Writing to Learn
Learning from Text Feature