Mindful Way through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life$39.99 Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
You can't just "get over" anxiety. In fact, the very things most people do to try to feel better; avoiding feared situations, pushing worry out of mind; only make the problem worse. Leading psychologists Susan M. Orsillo and Lizabeth Roemer present a powerful new alternative that can help you break free of anxiety by fundamentally changing how you relate to it.
With clarity and compassion, this book describes clinically tested mindfulness practices specifically tailored for anxiety in its many forms. Learn step-by-step strategies for gaining awareness of anxious feelings without letting them escalate; loosening the grip of worry and fear; and achieving a new level of emotional and physical well-being.
Table of Contents
Introduction: How This Book Will Help You
- Understanding Fear and Anxiety: Turning toward Your Emotions
- How Is Anxiety Getting in Your Way?
- Changing Your Relationship with Anxiety: Embarking on a New Path
- An Introduction to Mindfulness: Noticing a Skill You Already Possess
- Developing the Skills of Mindfulness: How to Bring Kind Attention into Your Daily Life
- Befriending Your Emotions
- Using Mindfulness to Clarify Muddy Emotions
- The Allure and Cost of Trying to Control Your Internal Experience
- Acceptance and Willingness: Increasing Flexibility and Opening Up to New Possibilities
- Clarifying What Matters to You and Setting a Course for Change
- Bringing It All Together: Making a Commitment to Yourself
- Overcoming Challenges to Cultivating Self-Compassion
- Staying Open When the Going Gets Tough
"In the Alice in Wonderland world of emotions, anxiety is the Red Queen—always a future threat and sometimes a present danger. This superb book shows how mindfulness can help ease the ravages of anxiety. Nobody knows more about this topic than Drs. Orsillo and Roemer, and their approach will be a godsend for many."
- David H. Barlow, PhD, ABPP, Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry, Boston University, and Founder and Director Emeritus, Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders
"By far the most sophisticated and engaging guide I have seen on mindfulness and anxiety. This book is a gem. Two of the field's most knowledgeable and creative experts skillfully take you on a journey into the hidden corners of your anxious mind. With a seamless blend of interesting stories, state-of-the-art research, and exercises, this book leads you step by step toward a fuller, more meaningful life. It is an excellent resource for anyone who seeks a path to freedom from anxiety and stress."
- Christopher K. Germer, PhD, author of The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion
"Anxiety is an emotion that begs us to mishandle it through worry and rumination. In a careful, step-by-step fashion, Drs. Orsillo and Roemer show you how to use mindfulness to break free from the grip of anxiety and move forward now toward the kind of life you want to live."
- Steven C. Hayes, PhD, author of Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life