Cognitive Behavioural Counselling In Action, 3ed$96.00 Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
- Cognitive Behavioural Counselling In Action, 3edBestselling, practical, evidence-based guide to the cognitive behavioural approach to common emotional problems
This bestselling, practical, evidence-based guide to the cognitive behavioural approach takes you step-by-step through the process of counselling, from initial contact with the client to termination and follow up. The book follows a skills-based format based around the Bordin and Dryden model of bonds, goals, tasks and views, with expanded case material to further illustrate links between theory and practice.
This third edition includes new content on:
- the working alliances, what it is and why it is so important;
- challenges and pitfalls in the counselling process;
- when to challenge and when not to challenge clients beliefs: emotional problems such as shame, guilt and jealousy as well as anxiety, depression and anger.
Drawing on their own extensive experience and contemporary research, the authors provide a concise overview of the cognitive behavioural approach, with new material on emotional problems rarely covered in practitioner guides, a strong emphasis on the therapeutic alliance, and updated bibliographic references throughout.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Cognitive Behavioural Counselling
A BASIC GUIDE TO COGNITIVE BEHAVIOURAL COUNSELLING
- Structure and Outline of the Basic Guide
- Preparation Stage I – Breaking the Ice: Screening, First Meeting, Establishing a Bond
- Preparation Stage II – Will this Help? Clarifying Problems, Goals, the Cognitive Approach, Commitment
- Beginning Stage I – What’s the Problem Specifically? Cognitive Assessment of a Specific Example
- Beginning Stage II – What Are We Aiming For? New Thinking, Feeling and Action Goals
- Middle Stage I – Getting Realistic: Challenging and Changing Inferences
- Middle Stage II – Changing Hot Thoughts
- Middle Stage III – Imagery Rescripting
- Middle Stage IV – Working Through
- Middle Stage V – Dealing with Pitfalls in CBC Counselling
- Ending Stage – Coaching the Client To Become His Own Counsellor
APPLYING CBC TO EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS
- From Theory to Practice and Further Development
APPENDICES: CLIENT’S GUIDES AND WORKSHEETS FOR CBC
- Appendix 1: Preparation Guide
- Appendix 2: Assessment and Goal Planning Guide
- Appendix 3: Options for Change Guide
"A gem of a book that emphasises integrative thinking within counselling and cognitive behaviour therapy, and draws together the therapeutic relationship, therapy processes, and strategies for working with common client issues. Michael Townend, Reader in CBT, University of Derby."
- Michael Townend, University of Derby