Autism Spectrum, Sexuality and the Law: What every parent and professional needs to know$69.99 Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
- Autism Spectrum, Sexuality and the LawExamines how the ASD profile affects sexuality - essential reading for parents of children with ASD and for mental health professionals.
Based on Nick Dubin's own experience, and drawing on the extensive knowledge of Dr Tony Attwood and Dr Isabelle Hénault, this important book addresses the issues surrounding the autism spectrum, sexuality and the law.
The complex world of sex and appropriate sexual behaviour can be extremely challenging for people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and, without guidance, many find themselves in vulnerable situations. This book examines how the ASD profile typically affects sexuality and how sexual development differs between the general population and those with ASD. It explains the legalities of sexual behaviour, how laws differ from country to country, and the possibility for adjustment of existing laws as they are applied to the ASD population. With advice on how to help people with autism spectrum disorder gain a better understanding of sexuality and a comprehensive list of resources, the book highlights the need for a more informed societal approach to the psychosexual development of people with ASD.
A ground-breaking and honest account, this book will be an invaluable addition to the shelves of parents of children with ASD, mental health and legal professionals, teachers, carers and other professionals working with individuals on the spectrum.
Table of Contents
- Introduction. Tony Attwood.
- My Story. Nick Dubin.
- The Pathway to Accessing Child Pornography. Tony Attwood.
- Strategies and Resources. Tony Attwood.
- A Mother's Journey to Save Her Family. Kitty Dubin.
- A Father's Journey to Protect His Son: A Legal Perspective. Larry Dubin.
- Sex Education and Interventions. Isabelle Hénault.
"In bravely revealing his thoughts, insights, and marshaling top experts in the field of autism and sexuality, Nick Dubin has turned a devastating involvement with the criminal justice system into an educational and learning experience. A must read for anyone supporting those on the autism spectrum in the vital area of sexuality."
- Stephen M. Shore, Ed.D., Clinical Assistant Professor of Special Education at Adelphi University, Internationally known consultant, educator, and author on issues related to the autism spectrum
"Sexuality is among the most important issues in the field of ASD that no one is talking about. Well, finally that silence has been broken with an incredibly honest, moving, fascinating and informative volume. The chapters by the family, whose son was charged with viewing child pornography, are among the most honest, gripping, and intense I have ever read and include a fantastic chapter by the son himself. In addition there are two chapters written by renowned international experts in the field which contain clear, comprehensive, and practical advice about sexuality related to people on the Autism Spectrum. Readers of this book will be rewarded with a whole new understanding of the major issues concerning sexuality and sexual development in ASD and will come away from this book deeply moved, surprised, and fully informed about the most important current issues in the field."
- Gary B. Mesibov, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, University of North Carolina