Adolescent Literacy: Strategies for Content Comprehension in Inclusive Classrooms$75.00 Softcover
Add to cartQuestions?
- Adolescent LiteracyFor adolescents, struggles with comprehension are a major obstacle to mastering academic content areas. Help resolve comprehension difficulties with this practical text, developed for use with students in Grades 6-12 with and without disabilities.
Age Range: 12 to 18
For adolescents with reading disabilities, struggles with comprehension are a major obstacle to mastering academic content areas. Help resolve comprehension difficulties with this practical text, developed for use with students in Grades 6-12 with and without disabilities.
An ideal supplementary text for preservice special and general educators-and a great resource for inservice teachers looking for new comprehension strategies-this book is the key to understanding what's behind comprehension struggles and which strategies make a real difference for adolescent readers. Teachers will discover how to improve students' reading comprehension across content areas with specific, evidence-based strategies such as
- mnemonics that help students remember and retrieve important information
- graphic organisers that highlight key information and clarify abstract concepts
- peer-mediated strategies that provide more opportunities for direct instruction and repeated practice
- motivational and self-efficacy strategies that encourage deep, focused, and engaged reading
- The Embedded Story Structure Routine, which teaches self-questioning, story structure analysis, and summary writing
- Collaborative Strategic Reading in student-led cooperative learning groups
- technology-based applications such as adapted digital texts, open-source textbooks, educational software, and virtual field trips
- multicomponent interventions such as reciprocal teaching and the SQ3R approach
To help teachers implement these highly effective comprehension strategies across a wide range of content areas, they'll get complete overviews of each strategy and how-to guidance based on recommended practice. They'll also get charts, graphic organisers, mnemonic strategies, and sample lesson plans they can use in their own classrooms.
With the proven, research-based strategies in this textbook, educators will be fully prepared to improve adolescents' comprehension skills and ensure that all students are confident, motivated readers.