Explicit Direct Instruction for English Learners$69.00 Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
- Explicit Direct Instruction for English LearnersThis accessible handbook provides the tools you need to become an EDI expert: and see real results from your English learners every day.
Every teacher of English learners struggles with the very same issue. How do you build language skills at the same time that you're teaching new content? That balancing act is about to get a whole lot easier. In this step-by-step guide, John Hollingsworth and Silvia Ybarra combine the best of educational theory, brain research, and data analysis to bring you explicit direct instruction (EDI): a proven method for creating and delivering lessons that help every student learn more and learn faster.
Teachers across all grades and subjects will learn how to
- Craft lessons that ELs can learn the first time they're taught
- Check for understanding throughout each lesson
- Embed vocabulary development across the curriculum
- Address listening, speaking, reading, and writing in all lessons: thus meeting the goal of the Common Core.
Featuring sample lessons, classroom examples, and boxed features, this accessible handbook provides the tools you need to become an EDI expert: and see real results from your English learners every day.
Table of Contents
About the Authors
Part I. Getting Ready
- English Learners Learning Every Day: Who Are They? What Do They Need?
- English Learners Need Explicit Direct Instruction: The Well-Crafted, Powerfully Taught Lesson
- Checking for Understanding: How to Verify That English Learners Are Learning
Part II. Strategies for English Learners
- Vocabulary Development: How to Teach English Learners New Words in Every Lesson
- Language Objectives: How to Have English Learners Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing English in Every Lesson
- Content Access Strategies: How to Make English Easier to Understand for English Learners
Part III. Integrating Strategies for English Learners Into EDI Lessons
- How to Present a Learning Objective to English Learners
- How to Activate Prior Knowledge for English Learners
- How to Teach Concepts to English Learners: Concept Development
- How to Teach Skills to English Learners and Provide Guided Practice
- How to Teach Lesson Importance to English Learners
- How to Close a Lesson and Provide Independent Practice and Periodic Review for English Learners
- Well-Crafted, Powerfully-Taught Lessons: Implementing Explicit Direct Instruction for English Learners