Essentials of Intensive Intervention$63.00 Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
- Essentials of Intensive InterventionPresents data-based individualisation (DBI), a systematic approach for intensive intervention in reading, maths & behaviour
Few evidence-based resources exist for supporting elementary and secondary students who require intensive intervention - typically Tier 3 within a multi-tiered system of support (MTSS). Filling a gap in the field, this book brings together leading experts to present data-based individualisation (DBI), a systematic approach to providing intensive intervention which is applicable to reading, math, and behaviour. Key components of the DBI process are explained in detail, including screening, progress monitoring, and the use and ongoing adaptation of validated interventions.
The book also addresses ways to ensure successful, sustained implementation and provides application exercises and FAQs. Readers are guided to access and utilise numerous free online DBI resources tool charts, planning materials, sample activities, downloadable forms, and more.
Table of Contents
Introduction, Louis Danielson, Rebecca Zumeta Edmonds, & Allison Gruner Gandhi
I. The Process of Data-Based Individualization
- Introduction to Intensive Intervention: A Step-by-Step Guide to Data-Based Individualization, Amy Peterson, Louis Danielson, & Douglas Fuchs
- Issues of Assessment within Intensive Intervention, Jill M. Pentimonti, Lynn S. Fuchs, & Allison Gruner Gandhi
- Integrating Behavior and Academics in Intervention Planning, Laura Berry Kuchle & T. Chris Riley-Tillman
- Intensive Intervention for Students with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Christopher J. Lemons, Samantha A. Gesel, & Lauren M. LeJeune
II. Implementation of Data-Based Individualization
- Why Is Implementation Readiness Critical?, Sarah V. Arden & Jennifer D. Pierce
- Teaming Structures to Support Intensive Intervention Using Data-Based Individualization, Teri A. Marx & Steve Goodman
- Aligning Intensive Intervention and Special Education with Multi-Tiered Systems of Support, Tessie Rose Bailey, Gail Chan, & Erica S. Lembke
"This book is practically an intensive intervention in itself! Each chapter begins with guiding questions which it goes on to systematically address and includes application activities and FAQs. It will be useful for both preservice and inservice teachers, or anyone who needs to learn the details of DBI. I would happily use this book in my class on data-based decision making, because it provides a clear path from learning to application."
- John L. Hosp, PhD, Special Education Program, University of Massachusetts Amherst
"All educators should know how to do DBI, but not enough do. This book can help. The authors are definitive experts and leaders of the National Center on Intensive Intervention, whose extensive experience working in classrooms shines through. The chapters include user-friendly guidance to implement DBI, exercises to self-evaluate your understanding, and resources to get started. The authors' approach is important and research validated and can help students with intensive needs reach their potential."
- Devin Kearns, PhD, Department of Educational Psychology, University of Connecticut
"This book comprehensively describes the complexities of MTSS implementation in schools and translates theories of evidence-based instructional practices and intensive intervention into practice. The authors provide critical knowledge, skills, and examples for implementing DBI with fidelity. District and school-based administrators, special and general education teachers, and school psychologists will develop a deeper understanding and a shared vision for supporting students with intensive needs."
- Mary E. Little, PhD, Exceptional Student Education Program, University of Central Florida