The ASD Nest Model: A Framework for Inclusive Education for Higher Functioning Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders$56.50 Softcover
Add to cartQuestions?
- The ASD Nest ModelThis program helps children function comfortably and successfully in mainstream settings in their schools and communities.
Age Range: 4 to 10
This well-researched and evidence-based program was formulated in response to the severe shortage of educational programs designed for higher functioning school-age children with ASD, which often leads to inappropriate placement, and a lack of supports; all of which inevitably results in poor educational experiences. The program uses a positive behaviour support approach and incorporates strategies that address areas of difficulties common in children with ASD, specifically sensory functioning, social relatedness, self-regulation, managing anxiety, and selective cognitive problems.
This program helps children function comfortably and successfully in mainstream settings in their schools and communities, whenever feasible, with decreased need for professional support.
- Recent standardised test results showed that 8- ASD Nest students in grades 3-8 scored similarly to typically developing students in English, while scoring slightly higher in maths.
- Data on a smaller group showed significant improvements regarding initiation of social interaction and expressive language that is nearly age-appropriate.
- Strategies and interventions in the ASD Nest program are a combination of evidence-based and highly promising practices.
"This is a book that every educator concerned about developing truly appropriate educational opportunities for children with autism should have."
- Catherine Lord, PhD, Psychiatry and Pediatrics at Weill-Cornell Medical College