Asperkid's (Secret) Book of Social Rules: The Handbook of Not-So-Obvious Social Guidelines for Tweens and Teens with Asperger Syndrome$39.99 Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
- Asperkid's (Secret) Book of Social RulesGuide to all of the hidden social rules that often seem strange and confusing to young people with Asperger syndrome.
Age Range: 10 to 17
Being a teen or tween isn't easy for anyone but it can be especially tough for Asperkids. Jennifer O'Toole knows; she was one! This book is a top secret guide to all of the hidden social rules in life that often seem strange and confusing to young people with Asperger syndrome.
The Asperkid's (Secret) Book of Social Rules offers witty and wise insights into baffling social codes such as making and keeping friends, blending in versus standing out from the crowd, and common conversation pitfalls. Chock full of illustrations, logical explanations, and comic strip practice sessions, this is the handbook that every adult Aspie wishes they'd had growing up.
Ideal for all 10-17 year olds with Asperger syndrome, this book provides inside information on over thirty social rules in bite-sized chunks that older children will enjoy, understand, and most importantly use daily to navigate the mysterious world around them.
Table of Contents
“Where was this Book when I, like, Needed it?''
Rules, Posers and Speaking a Foreign Language: Introduction.
Need-to-Knows: The Unspoken Rules – In Bullet Points.
What you Need to Know about the Need-to-Knows: Making Sense of the Rules.
- How Not to Make a Light Bulb: Why Everything is Hard Before its Easy.
- The Potty-Training Rule: Knowing When a Thank You is Expected.
- So You Noticed a Kindness: The Technicalities of Thank You. Quotealicious.
- I'm Sorry: The Hardest Words to Say.
- The “Perseverance” of “Perserverance”: Being Right vs. Being Included.
- Perfectly Imperfect: Congratulations, You're Human.
- But I Wasn't Laughing: Laughing with You vs. Laughing at You. Quotealicious.
- Poof! You're Interesting: Being Interesting by Being Interested.
- Mirror! Mirror!: Reflect, Reflect, Reflect.
- You're Welcome: The Power of Compliments. Quotealicious.
- Broken Spaghetti: The Benefits of Thinking Like a Wet Noodle.
- Boiling the Pasta: How to Make that Flexible Thinking Thing Happen.
- You've Got to Hold the Pillow: Why Criticism Matters.
- Take a Breath and Watch the Hammer: Knowing How to Handle Criticism.
- Speak in Sandwiches and Make Suggestions: Knowing How to Give Good Feedback. Quotealicious.
- Unfiltered: White Lies and Trust.
- Tact and the Triple-Filter: How Honest to Too Honest?
- Literally?: What They Actually Mean.
- Do I Need an Umbrella or an Ark?: Sorting Mountains from Molehills.
- Temper, Temper: There Will Be More Apple Juice Tomorrow. Quotealicious.
- The Science of a Greek Goddess: Hygeia, Aphrodite and Why They Were Such Good Pals.
- Traveling by Bubble: Transparent Boundaries that Only NTs See.
- Choices and Tactics: How to Recognise a Friend.
- Who's Who, What's What: Friendship Levels and Cling Wrap. Quotealicious.
- Standing Up Straight: Self-Advocacy, Anger Band-Aids and Being Heard.
- Talking to Myself: Inner Dialogues and Old Tapes.
- Likes, Tweets and Texts: Netiquette Need-to-Knows.
- The Loveliest Curve and an Open Door: Beauty and Chivalry are Alive and Well.
- There's More for Dinner than Mashed Potatoes: Missing the Bigger Picture.
- Wedgies, Tattletales and Queen Bees: Taking Your Power Back from Bullies.
- Through the Looking Glass: Laughing at Yourself without Being a Laughingstock.
Stickies (Little Nuggets of Aspie Truth – Sticky- Note-Sized).
Stick a Fork in it – We're Done. AKA: The Conclusion.
Resources You Will Actually WANT to Use. Really.